Wednesday 23 April 2014

Road block

What is 'secondary' and blocking the way to experiencing God? 

That's the question Imam asked today.

I've just been through, and I pray it will continue, a very rich time with God. He has taught me so much about His generosity towards me and mine towards others - and therefore to Him.

It has been a time when I have felt so very close to Christ continually. Every day seemed rich with His presence, every prayer was an intimate conversation. I sense that slipping away into a more shallow time however...

The last few days have been wonderful socially and emotionally. Spending time with very good friends at the fellowship we used to be part of and became part of once again. Easter worship was great and then some relaxation on Bank Holiday Monday - brilliant!

But maybe it all became too much about me. Having experienced forty days of generosity through #40acts, maybe I just became too self indulgent. Perhaps the 'secondary' thing is me. Maybe I am not only buying and selling in the temple courts but maybe I am 'for sale' and have made myself very cheap that the offering I am to God is pretty worthless...

I am reminded not only of the Sunday school chorus 'Jesus first, yourself last...' But also a scripture that was in my mind when I woke up this morning - it's from Matthew 6:33:

“If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. (Matthew 6:30-33 MSG)

Today, I am secondary to the will and word of God - I will be richer for it.

No comments: