Friday 25 April 2014

Life changing...

No one has that perfect life! I sometimes catch a 'lifestyle' programme on TV and inevitably whether it is about 'The Real Housewives of...', 'location, location, location' or 'Grand Designs' there is very clearly a cost to gaining a 'better' way of life - the cost is financial, discomfort, and the like. Not infrequently when they improved life is attained there is still some underlying issue that remains unresolved.

While looking at scripture today I am being asked 'in what ways are / have my life plans been put 'out of joint' in order that I depend on God more?' 

In other words 'if you want an improved experience of God what have you been put through in order to achieve this?' It's a reflection on Genesis 32 where Jacob wrestles with God at the Jabbok Brook, gets his hip out of joint but also receives a deeper relationship and a new name.

As I thought about this I remembered a conversation yesterday when it was reflected that Alan, who got saved a few months ago following an addiction to drink has ended up in prison because of a momentary lapse in his experience. When he shared with his pastor that maybe this was God's punishment his very wise captain explained that far from punishment this was a gift from God where he could focus on his discipleship and God's goodness. Very wise words! Alan still knows that God's love is unconditional and is now using his time to good effect.

When I look back on the things I have wrestled with that have taken me deeper into relationship with God it is things like Catherine's cancer, and to a lesser degree, my own brush with melanoma; it is the times when I have worried through sleepless nights about the well being of my children. It is very much the moments that I realise that Jesus is all I've got that Jesus is all I need.

On a superficial level, but one which illustrates this experience well for me, is the fact that I get up most mornings at around 6am in order to focus on my relationship with Christ. Unsurprisingly when I do this, I have a better day and my relationships with others are improved - when I don't... Well you can imagine!

The reality for me is that whatever happens in my life I see it as a gift from God: the good, the bad and the ugly things: I bear them, tolerate and even enjoy them because God always has something within them that takes our relationship deeper as a result: I just have to look for what He is doing.





No comments: