Thursday 3 April 2014

Get in line

Ha! Today's task is to buy the person behind you a drink in the coffee shop - brilliant! I love this one! It will totally freak people out!

I would love to work in a coffee shop, to be a barista (possibly a disappointment to family members who had hoped I would have a similar sounding but potentially much more lucrative job), the smell of the coffee and the muffins / pastries, to be amongst people who are relaxing, chatting, working, pausing. I live everything about the coffee shop culture. Even the barista apron. Heaven!

So to buy a coffee for someone is always a pleasure - in fact my wife sometimes will say, after my suggestion of coffee: 'but we've already done that today!' (She does have a point - it could become a very expensive habit).

Buying a coffee for myself and family, friends or work colleagues is an almost daily occurrence for me, buying for complete strangers is another matter. Who is next in line? 

I guess that this is not just about generosity but about connecting, I also think that this is not about a random act of kindness or generosity but the intentional focus on someone other than myself. I use coffee shops because I, like many others, enjoy the experience. Others use them because they are a refuge from work, a place that will accommodate them for the duration of their need, that will allow five child buggies around a small table. They create community, for an hour, for a moment. 

The next in line will receive their coffee, they may receive a conversation (they are bound to ask why!). I think that I will receive much more than they will.

(Also, I will send a coffee to the first person that tells me which coffee shop this image was taken in)

No comments: