Friday 18 April 2014

My story

My story is simple and, I suspect, fairly common. But I have the experience that God is never mundane, random or predictable - even if my life may appear to be at times.

Although brought up in a. Christian family there came a time in my teenage years - I was 17 - when I had to decide whether or not this life of faith was for me: was I going to be a Christian or just play at it?  In my own room, sat on my bed, I read the story from Palm Sunday through to the resurrection in all four gospels and was overwhelmed that this was something Christ had done for me. From that day onward I took my relationship with Christ seriously.

He had to knock some corners off me - worldliness and relationships, through to piety and false humility - he's dealt with them all.

He brought Catherine into my life and has presented both of us not only with a great family but also with incredible ministry opportunities that I never imagined.

But every day he also rescues me from temptation - to indulge myself, to be arrogant, to serve myself and not Him. Every day I thank God for my salvation - not only what he brings me to, but also what he rescues me from. I cannot explain how strong the desire to deviate from His way is sometimes - to take an easy route through a personal,  family or ministry problem - but His faithfulness in facing every challenge of His sacrifice for me reminds me that He is my model for living - and He gives me the power through His Holy Spirit to live it in his way.

In an incredible way Jesus has presented me with a freedom that is beyond comprehension. As a committed worrier I managed to hold Ono so many things I had no control over. sleep loss was a fact of life and a daily experience, fretting was my default position - but He healed me and reassures me daily that His control and way is perfect - even when I don't understand it.

In the darkest days of Catherine's cancer - He was there.
When there seemed to be no physical resources - He provided.
When our children have made decisions that challenge our thinking - He supports us - and looks after them.
When the future is uncertain - He is with me.


I am a blessed man.

No comments: