Thursday 17 April 2014

Forgive and...

Wow!

I didn't see that one coming - 'today's challenge is to forgive'.

Can't I just make a card or some cakes, or pay for lunch for a stranger? Can't I just take some clothes to a charity shop, or sign a petition, or tell people the Gospel?

Forgiveness.







It's a real tough one because sometimes you don't know whether you've really forgiven someone until the next time you meet them. As soon as you see them the bitterness and resentment come flooding back. And they maybe don't even know that they've offended me. Maybe I'm just sensitive to a specific issue. Maybe it's me that needs forgiveness...

Forgiveness is probably the most difficult challenge because it is the most precious. To forgive means I'm released. to forgive means that someone else is no longer living rent free in my head and heart. To forgive means that Jesus has invaded every part of my life - including the past, because forgiveness is all about the past.

As far as I am aware I don't hold any grudges against people, as far as I am aware I am a 'forgiver' rather than a bearer of burdens.

But I may be wrong...

With Good Friday tomorrow I have no choice but to examine myself today in the light of the forgiveness I have received - and forgive the same way.

Also...

I may need forgiveness from others - I seek it today.

No comments: