Monday 7 April 2014

It's my favourite!

If I'm ever asked what my 'favourite' is it always throws me a bit.

It depends on my mood, the circumstances and possibly who I am with. Not that I am vacuous or change my response to fit with other things but I'll give you an example:

My wife asks me what my favourite food is and I say 'chilli - your chilli', it's great, honestly it is.

My friends Wendy and Melvyn ask the same question 'barbecue, anything from the barbecue'. 

Other friends or family will ask and I may say anything from Pizza to Sunday roast.

The same happens with music.

I'm not fickle, I'm eclectic, my 'favourite' things are largely dependent on a combination of factors to produce a 'perfect storm' of favourites! The setting, the company, the music, the food, the weather, the time of day - all have a part to play.

When it comes to my favourite scripture verse however it all changes. It is a 'fixed point'. It is the words of a tattoo were I to have one done. It has remained changed for many years. It is this:

"To live is Christ and to die is gain" Phillipians 1:21.

Why this verse? Because every moment of my life should be lived with Christ, every word, every action, every thought, every deed. To love therefore is Christ. Christ in me and through me. The only thing that hampers this is my own humanity, my spiritual frailty and so often to live is not Christ, but I always know that He is with me. What could improve on this situation but my own passing in order to be with Him? I know Him in the everyday now but often fail, my eternal life with Him means I will never fail again and will constantly be in his presence.

(By the way I'm very pleased that the #40acts thought for the day writer is a friend of mine - thanks Fiona !)

No comments: