Thursday 27 March 2014

Talking to strangers

Obviously we tell our children not to speak with strangers. A message I clearly endorse so please don't misunderstand what I am about to say.

Talk to strangers.

For every one of our friends at some point was a stranger. We're were not born preprogrammed with friendship and knowledge of certain specified others. We were also strangers to them at the same time.

I do make the effort to talk to strangers - I may be the only person who asks the person serving me whether they are having a good day. I may be the only one to ask the person n the queue how they are doing today. Or maybe I won't, but I would rather have a brief conversation with someone I don't know and interact with them on a personal level than get to the end of the day having deprived myself and others of the possibility of new experiences.

Today I will do the same - asking strangers open questions that may enrich their lives as well as mine.

No comments: