Thursday 13 March 2014

Give until you feel it

A moments of confession: I didn't complete yesterday's task! I didn't phone someone up out of the blue, I didn't reconnect with someone that I hadn't see for a long time. Did I fail? I'm not really sure - because, weirdly, so far all of the tasks have been very much in character for me so it's not unusual for me to just call someone out of the blue - in fact I did it just three days ago and seriously the joy that you get and that you potentially bring to others is epic. But I will call someone today... Promise.

Today's task for #40acts is to be overly generous, to someone, probably that you have little to do with. The commentator, Steve Legg, recounts buying iced buns for a shop assistant for instance. 

I'm out and about today so I'll have to look for an opportunity to give time, money, gift in excess.

Why do this though? I think pretty much it comes down to reflecting the generosity of Jesus. He didn't just make people feel better, he made them better people: he didn't just feed them he fed them with more than enough: he didn't just produce wine he produced the best for the wedding party.

For too long I have settled for not doing what Jesus wouldn't do instead of doing what he would.

I want to be extravagant today in all ways - I'll reflect fully on this tomorrow.

No comments: