Thursday 6 March 2014

Chocolate and obedience

Having produced a 'Generosity Jar' that would do credit to a 7 year old I set about this second day of lent. Within minutes of my planned day things had gone wrong, a missed turning meant I was already running late. My plan had been to buy a bar of chocolate and give it to someone - ashamed of my pathetic jar I felt I had to carry out a deliberate act of kindness. Unfortunately now running behind time I  felt I didn't have time to stop to get the chocolate - but that would surely be OK, it was only a bar of chocolate anyway.

Spending time with someone that needed to talk was refreshing for me and, I believe, helpful for them. At the end of what had been, at times, an emotional conversation blessed with prayer, I made to leave only to hear my friend say 'I just need some chocolate now...'.

My reaction was to go and do what I should have done right at the beginning of the day... 

Even something as simple as a bar of chocolate can make a difference when given in the right spirit.

No comments: