Thursday 20 March 2014

Shhh: a confession

Giving - it has much to say about the giver as well as the receiver. I honestly like to give gifts, I love to give things away. Only the other day I gave away a book to someone I don't know in order to help them on their spiritual journey. I possibly won't ever meet them as it was given via someone else. If I can I make charitable donations to children's, cancer and bible distribution charities. 

But here is the truth about my giving - and it's painful to admit - much of my giving is on the basis of how I will feel as a result. How selfish is that? How arrogant is that? I feel quite ashamed admitting it. 

There is now a challenge for me: keep giving or stop giving? Both would be a selfish act.

The Bible teaches really clearly that our giving and good deeds should be done in secret, anonymously if possible. Obviously I am failing on this count.

Today - and from now on - I will be anonymising any gift I make wherever possible. The recipient doesn't need to know who the gift came from they just need to know that their need has been met.
My need is to have less of 'me' going on and more of Jesus.

For obvious reasons I won't be updating on my progress in this issue.

No comments: