Friday 14 March 2014

Listen, just listen

As I write a programme is on TV in the hotel in which I am staying. It's called "The Real Housewives of New Jersey". Repeatedly this programme features heated confrontation - often over very minor issues - with lots of raised voices and animated gesticulation.

On this day of listening it seems a bit weird to have this programme on - but also a reminder of the proportionality of listening and speaking: when God created us he gave us two ears and one mouth. Use them in proportion to their distribution.

Because I have been travelling for most of today the opportunity for listening has been limited... Or has it? Spending brief moments this morning with my team I tried very deliberately to 'hear' everything they were saying. Travelling with Catherine, my wife, enabled me to listen carefully to what she was saying. Most precious of all were moments of prayer this morning that were listening moments. The confidence of God's presence was tangible from these earliest moments of the day - I've tried to keep listening to Him throughout today - and it's not finished yet...

I'm listening...

No comments: