Thursday 13 March 2014

Knock, knock

A day of visiting people pastorally gave me a couple of opportunities for generosity... Of time and of space particularly. Waiting for the visited to fill the space instead of me leaping in and sharing opinion. While becoming more aware of others I became aware of myself. How often I open my mouth without really there being a need for me to.

I think of the story of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery when he stopped and drew in the sand, or the occasion when he asked the blind beggar 'what do you want me to do for you?' Jesus allowed others to fill the space and then in his own way, because he was there initially used the space in order to bring about healing and wholeness.

When I knock on someone else's door there is an opportunity for generosity on so many levels. When I pick up the phone it's the same. It's about making a personal connection.

Generosity and extravagance have got much more to do with quality of every day living than they have with possessions or gifts - much as it is very nice to be able to bestow these on others - they are about reinforcing the positives in ones life and creating enough space for Christ to fill.

There is an act of extravagance to come - but it's not to shout about!

No comments: