Wednesday 12 March 2014

Hanging on the telephone

The telephone has been an intrinsic part of my life. When I left school I worked for a telecoms company and fitted them in people homes and workplaces. I have made and received tens of thousands of calls over the years. 

I recall the tricks of the trade: of being able to usage a phone when the dial was broken, or ring a number and walk away only for it to ring back a few moments later as some unsuspecting friend or family member was near the instrument, oh the hilarity when they picked the phone for there to be no on eat the other end! You can imagine...

These days I make relatively few phone calls. I make possibly one or two a day. Total. I average eighty emails and probably a dozen or so texts, but talk on the phone? It just doesn't happen that often today.

I am challenged today to call someone I haven't spoken to for a long time. I think I know who it will be but I may just call two people...

The physical action of calling and receiving phone calls involves many electronic and data connections but it also connects hearts and minds. I want to live as a generous person whom people know will spend time with them, either on the phone or in person, in order that we can really connect.

Now where's my phone book...?

No comments: