Monday 2 March 2015

Happy 'catch up' New Year!

If you share regularly in this blog - and I have no idea who does or doesn't read it apart from the occasional 'favourite' or RT on Twitter or a 'like' or short comment on Facebook - you will know that principally, at this time of year it is a journey through Lent reflecting on #40acts activities.

The last few days have been very strange in my life as we said goodbye to my Father in Law and celebrated his life in his funeral and celebration service last Thursday. As a result of these events myself and Catherine decided that we would treat March 1st as New Years Day and move on. It has already proved to be a cathartic thing to do. We are now looking forward to this new year as one of hope and optimism having left the old one of sickness and sadness in the past. 

However, what cannot be changed, is the incredible generosity we have experienced along with other members of our family. It's indicative that generosity is for life not just for Lent! From the cousin who loaned a pair of black shoes to one of my sons who had forgotten his,  to the church where we held the celebration not accepting any payment for the mass of refreshments for the three hundred or so folks who attended. We have be recipients of great generosity given graciously.

It is a model that I can learn from and reflect on as I strive to be more generous as I get on with life.

So I have some catching up to do - some post-it notes to leave, a gift to give and an engagement across cultural boundaries. They'll all happen because God has awakened in me a spirit of generosity through #40acts, I have experienced generosity through his Spirit in others and I have plenty of opportunities ahead of me!

No comments: