Tuesday 24 March 2015

Hands up who would like to...

When I was a child I was one of those annoying children who was always eager to please. You know the sort, hand up straight away for any task that needed doing in school or in church. "Me Miss, Me Miss, pick me Miss" was the call of my life.

I am sure, at the time, I was really irritating to those around me. Even now the eagerness to please is still there it just comes with fifty years of wisdom to ensure I don't make a Wally of myself too often! 

Volunteering has become very much of our age. We are encouraged to offer an hour, a day, a week or a year to help others. And that's where the difference in my volunteering and the volunteers of today becomes apparent.

My volunteering was about others noticing me whereas real volunteering is about me noticing others - and then doing something to help them.

These days I rarely do any real volunteering - although I do work for a church and charity - but maybe the fact that today's #40acts task is about this means I should look for a long or short term to help others with no direct benefit to myself.

What about you?

No comments: