Wednesday 4 March 2015

More Plastic - and more Prompting!

I started to carry out a 'plastic inventory' as part of yesterday's task:

Milk Bottle,
toothpaste tube,
Toothbrush,
Light switch,
Recycling box(!)
Wheelie Bin (!!)
Car dash board (actually a large amount of the car)

The list goes on and on...

I even bought some metal screws from a hardware shop and they were in a little plastic bag - as if they were going to be protected by it! Obviously it was used to keep them together.

As I became more aware because I was consciously looking for the plastic I became more concerned at the over use of this very versatile product. Equally concerned that people sleep walk into using plastic unnecessarily. Fortunately we have a cost attached to plastic carriers in Scotland. I would always avoid usin one in favour of a personal bag anyway - but nowadays you see many less supermarket bags. So that's good - but I guess it's often because of the accumulated added cost rather than some newfound Eco-awareness that may be going on.

Awareness - that's the key for me. This is my fathers world - I don't want to mess it up or break it, or even add to someone else's mess. Awareness for me means changing habits of a lifetime and looking after this amazing space He has provided for us. So I'm still going to try to ditch even more plastic and be careful with the resources that are mine - because they are a gift from Him.

That 'Awareness' needs to move beyond the resources and out to the people in this world, being aware of opportunities - or rather promptings from the Holy Spirit - to help others, make their day easier, their burden of life a little lighter.

When Catherine preaches she will sometimes say that if we are walking closely with God the first response to a situation will be spiritual because Jesus is within us, then almost immediately our selfish voice persuades us away from and action. 'Go with the first voice - it's God' she will say. 

How many people have gone without because I have not responded generously at God's instruction? Today I am on high alert to hear and act...

No comments: