Tuesday 3 March 2015

Plastic: not just a flexible friend but a friend for life!

So yesterday was about encouraging and thanking people and today is about not scooping up the earths resources and devouring them in unthinking ways (presumably if we thought a bit more we wouldn't use them so aggressively!). Particularly I am being encouraged to ditch the plastic...

Well yesterday I was able to give a little 'thank you' gift to five of my colleagues who often come in for a hard time because of the nature of the work they do - bricks and mortar can be very unexciting and quite frustrating for those not 'in the know'. So I shared some chocolate with them. Also I had five interviews/significant conversations with folks yesterday. And in all of them I really looked for the excellent work that had been done as they fed back - and it was no problem. They are great people, humble people, who do what they do because of the. God they serve - I heard myself saying a number of times in the conversations "thanks - that's excellent work" it wasn't difficult because it was the truth.
Thanking people is pretty much a default setting of mine so it's not difficult to do especially, today I want to ramp it up a bit and write out to a few people I don't see very often and than them...

Today's 'real' task from #40acts is to reduce my consumption of plastic - and other things that eat up the resources of the earth. So here are some targets: I will use a glass or mug not a plastic cup. I will not use a plastic carrier (I rarely do so not a real challenge), I will go through all the bins in the house and and separate plastics and paper and glass and make sure what needs recycling gets recycled.

I'll also monitor (and maybe take a picture of) all the plastic that goes through my hands in the day - and really be mindful about it's use and abuse - and try not to add to the problem!

No comments: