Wednesday 11 March 2015

I was in prison...

One of the things that I disliked about being a minister in a local church was occasionally visiting prison. Maybe someon had requested a visit from a Salvation Army Officer, or the chaplain felt I was the right person. I never enjoyed it - or felt fulfilled by the experience. Many pastors love this aspect of ministry - I am very blessed by them for I cannot bear it.

The one moment of light relief was when I went as part of a music group to visit Swansea Prison for a Carol Service shortly after moving from Cardiff. As the inmates were led into the meeting room where we were already sitting a ripple ran through a particular area of the gathered group. One of them stood up and waved shouting 'hiya Russ' then three or four others did the same! To Prison Officers were bemused as I waved back and sheepishly said something like 'good to see you again'. These were all partners or relatives of people we had ministered with in Cardiff as we ran a Prisoners Families Support group at our Salvation Army church. 

These people were human just like me they hurt like me and the have joys just like me - it's just that they have done something that is against the law and they are paying the price. their families pay a price as well.

Today's task requires that I at least pray for prisoners or victims of domestic Violence - 0ften prisoners in their own homes. Or that it write to someone in this position, or that I keep writing.

I'll try - I don't think it will be easy... 

No comments: