Wednesday 25 March 2015

We have it too easy...

Now here's a first: I had done this mornings task before it was issued!

One of the challenges of living in the West, being a church leader in Europe is that we have it very easy. Yes, you might argue there is the challenge of declining numbers, lack of engagement, staid worship. But we are not killed for our belief. We are not persecuted for being followers of Jesus. That's why on a regular basis I pray for the persecuted church. Those who in fear of life and limb, ridicule and exclusion still worship Jesus.

They hide away to do so, they have no books they can turn to for inspiration - least of all a Bible. Yet they remember the words of scripture that are written on their hearts. They repeat them as they occasionally meet in secret places.

They are blessed.

So I remember them in prayer in the comfort of my home knowing that my particular brand of Christianity benefits from public acclaim. I look at the hundreds of books that I frequently neglect - 90% of which are on faith themes, the hymn and music books that are well thumbed on relatively few pages and remember those who have none of these benefits. And I ask forgiveness for myself and my fellow Christians who have allowed our freedom to lead to a cheapening of blessing as we take it for granted.

The very least I can do is pray.

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list/

No comments: