Thursday 5 March 2015

Caught out!

I knew this would happen! I love the approach that #40acts takes with the approach to generosity and being a more generous person. Using Lent as a time to give out not give up is great.

But those sneaky people at Stewardship who organise and prepare #40acts occasionally put something in that throws me a bit off balance - and today is that day.

The idea is not a problem - spend time with someone of a different generation. Share wisdom together. That's all fine until the dreaded word "Mentor" is used...

I have on my office wall a quote for entrepreneur Jo Malone 'don't have a mentor, be your own person, have your own ideas, make your own decision' (or something very similar to that. It's there because, frankly, it's what I think...

Having said that there are those who have asked me to mentor them - and we have met and shared coffee and conversation, there are also those who I have spent time with and really benefitted from their knowledge, wisdom and experience. But Mentoring - not for me - it's all too formal and not organic but it works for some no doubt.

So today I have to adapt the task into my own experience and to do that will not be a problem - it also means that I can follow up on yesterday's task of listening to the Holy Spirit - and making contact with someone from a different generation.

No comments: