Monday 1 December 2014

His mother's son

The Magnificat is Mary's song. 'My soul magnifies The Lord...' She sings when she visits her older and, oh so different, cousin Elizabeth. This performance of joy, this exclamation of blessedness comes from a young woman, barely more than a child because something has happened to her that, by all rights, should end in her public disgrace and stoning.

A few years ago a read a first hand account of this practice from one of the modern day eastern countries. It is a barbaric practice visited on those women who live a life away from the holy writings of the country. It is both public spectacle and religious warning - 'act in this way and this is the outcome'. The man, I believe generally gets a slap on the wrist. 

With this in my mind I read the account of Mary and Elizabeth again... Mary's life is in danger before she has really lived but, and this is the thing that has really made me be filled with wonder, she is not only able to be composed about the whole thing she performs a song to praise God in the presence of her cousin who is the epitome of religious and social conformity.

My moment of #adventwonder has stirred in me the desire to look for and rejoice in the most extreme circumstances and decisions of this season. To observe, and even experience, adversity and see it as a blessing, to focus specific prayers for those who could not publicly declare their faith, and for those young girls who find themselves 'with child' and are full of fear of the reactions of others.

For myself, in this moment, My soul magnifies The Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen