Friday 12 December 2014

Did you get everything?

When I was about nine years old there was one thing that I wanted for Christmas. I made sure it went on my list: a super safe.

In these days of iPhones and Playstations etc a money box that looked like a safe complete with tumbler lock doesn't seem much - but it was what I really wanted. 

Christmas morning came and, as usual, we made our way down stairs to see in the glow of the fire what had been left for us overnight. The coloured paper, the ribbons, boxes large and small, the twinkling lights on the tree and the wonderful aroma of the fruit that had been placed in the room overnight: this sensory richness was the introduction for the opening of presents. Being the youngest I would start, my sister, Linda next and so on. We had wonderful gifts that year, presents that took your breath away! So many things we had asked for and got - and more besides. My parents always ensured we had a happy Christmas. It was wonderful! The memory as vivid now as the experience was then.

A few hours of happy playing, eating, eating and playing and we got to Christmas dinner. Once again the senses were almost overwhelmed.

After Lunch my mum asked 'did you get everything you wanted?' 'Oh yes!' Chimed Linda and I, no doubt thanking profusely at the same time. 'Are you sure?' '...erm, ...yes?' 'What about this?' 

A final present was produced and handed to me: before I took the wrapping off I knew what it was: the Super Safe! My joy, and my Christmas wish list was complete!

Now there are a number of things that make me wonder here: the brilliant childhood that I had, truly happy, with my parents pulling out every stop to ensure we had a great time not only at Christmas but throughout the year. it can't have been easy - but they showed us such great love. I am filled with wonder and thankfulness.

Then there's the richness of Christmas reflecting the richness of that first morning in Bethlehem - assaulting the senses in a different yet no less powerful way.

What strikes me most when I wonder about this memory is my own selfishness. The gift that I thought so valued was completely forgotten in the generosity I received. Too easily are we swayed from our own thoughts and values and swept along with the excitement / drama of what is going on around us.

Over the 41 years after this event there have been times when I have been overwhelmed by what is going on to the point of distracting me from important issues- because I was focusing on myself.

I pray it is a practice I have left behind.


No comments: