Thursday 11 December 2014

Ethical Christmas

I expected to be writing about Joseph this morning, however, as I prepared for the day through my devotions I was turned in a completely different direction: ethical Christmas Shopping...

A few weeks ago I was looking for something 'smart but cool' to wear ( for those that know me, you will realise that this is not a style that comes naturally to me) and felt that I had found the very things - but they were in an ethically dubious shop... What to do? The price was in my budget, they were available, they fitted my 'style requirements'...

Our normal practice in my family is to start with the charity shops, we've bagged many bargains over the years, saving literally hundreds of pounds. When we shop for gifts for others we normally focus on small independent local traders, a unique gift that is helping an individual as well as fulfilling our requirements is an extra special present. We even support the Salvation Army through the Secret Santa in the office. Ethical shopping is part of our general make up.

How do we know, however, that everyone in the production and supply chain is being treated fairly? Who defines what is 'fair' anyway? I could go shopping iPad in hand to check the ethical statement of every company but to be truthful I would just be in the way and take a lot of time.

As I wonder about this issue I reassure myself that I take an appropriate stand but also that I could do more - and will do more - not only at Christmas but throughout the year as well. A habit established regularly will surely equip anyone better than a simple seasonal adjustment...

And, if you were wondering, no I didn't buy the clothes. Like a wise man from the East I returned home by a different route.

No comments: