Tuesday 16 December 2014

A star; Promoted to Glory

I normally come to blogging, especially in Advent, with a definite lightness in my heart and hands. This is tinged today with the knowledge that over the last few days I have received news of numerous people who have ministered within the Salvation Army who have, as we say, been "Promoted to Glory". Today my thoughts king the star of the East will blend with my thoughts on these people.

As a child I used to love looking at the night sky, the 'space race' was very much part of my early years. I remember the Apollo missions (just) and recall the excitement of looking to the heavens with my white telescope and 'Observers Book of Astronomy' with the hope that I would have a vague idea of what was going on up there! I can still identify numerous constellations and even explain why some planets appear to go backwards occasionally. Looking at the night sky on a daily basis reminds me that this is a map of the universe with fixed points - never changing.

Which is why a star that stands still to guide men of wisdom fills me with wonder. A star should be moving with the rest of the universe. A star should twinkle in the back ground not point to a baby in a manger, directing the seekers.

My life has been full of 'stars' giving me direction, unfailing, full of faith, pointing the way to that same child in the manger.

And not only me but countless others - numberless as the stars in the night sky - individuals being so fixed on one point that they were people of integrity and direction. And the point they have been fixed upon is the one who was pointed to by that star - over the years, in his name, they have served as Salvation Army Officers and clothed the naked, fed the hungry, welcomed strangers and pointed the way to Jesus. Some have done this through practical service, leadership writing of music, leading of worship.

It is with a real sense of wonder that I give thanks for these people - and all who still direct towards Jesus. I pray that I will be a 'star' too.



No comments: