Thursday 18 February 2016

Money, money, money!

The greatest thing about #40acts to me is that it has caused me to think very intentionally about how generous I am. As a husband, father, son, brother, leader, pastor and so on. This journey of three years lasts beyond Lent. It has stopped some of my bad spending habits and started new ones.

As I am prompted to think about how I spend my money by the folks at Stewardship I am also being nudged by the Ignatian Reflection for today that Jesus is everything I will ever need.

All the rest is just stuff.

The prompting is so strong for me that when I turn on my banking app I have set is so the welcome message says 'be generous'!

Initially I thought this was principally about money but gradually I rediscover (for I think I have known this before) that generosity is about being available, open, accepting, giving.

Do I support numerous charities as a result of this? Not on a regular basis but when possible I like to Sipport Open Doors (persecuted Christians), Bible Society and Habitat for Humanity as well as my own church at The Salvation Army in Cumbernauld.

Do I ever feel I am being generous enough? Honestly, no, but I also know that I am on the way to being more generous with my money, which for some of the causes that resonate with me makes a difference of a few pounds.

And on the way I have healthier spending habits and am more available to others.

Be generous because you already have all you need.

No comments: