Wednesday 17 February 2016

I'm listening...

Today's task for #40acts is about active listening and perhaps initiating a conversation with someone who I have not spoken to for a while and chatting (but mostly listening!) to them.

I have a famous ear - in fact probably everyone who reads this blog in the UK (and I don't know whether that is many or few) will have seen a picture of my ear on a Salvation Army Clothing Bin. 

Maybe as a result of that I have been told I am a good listener, good eye contact and empathic responses. But I know the truth. Yes, eye contact is something I ensure I do, I know how to make the right sounds in answer to statements and questions, I can even think of things to say when there is a lull in the conversation. In truth, however, I am very often already thinking about what I will say as my next point, or how I can shoehorn a funny one liner, or, sadly, how I can draw the conversation to a close.

Today will be different, I will clearly listen, I won't be thinking of me I will be focusing on YOU - whoever you may be.

As an addition I will deliberately seek out people on the edge of my friendship and influence groups, people I spend very little time with and listen to them. They will have wisdom that I have yet to encounter because I have not taken time to really listen to them.



No comments: