Wednesday 18 February 2015

Generosity

As some of you will know I will be following #40acts once again this year through Lent. Last year I found this to be a very enriching experience and helped me to keep looking out wards in my life, to be giving out through Lent as well as, possibly, giving up. The whole idea of being generous appeals to me because I have sen the difference that generosity makes. When people around you are generous it isn't difficult to be generous as a reflection of those actions.

Today I will scope out my generosity plan and probably share it tomorrow but before I do that I just want to stop and consider a few things...

Last Thursday morning my Father in Law died. Quite suddenly as we had been speaking to him the day previously about him leaving hospital. He was looking forward to getting back to his little bungalow and getting on with life. I guess when he woke up in heaven he was as surprised as we were. 

We were devastated. In the last six days many tears have fallen, there has been some laughter, undoubtedly lots of memories. Throughout it all my family have been the recipients of great generosity. You can imagine the many cards we have received, phone calls, texts, emails from all parts of the world. Everyone a blessing. Flowers arriving bring beauty to a place of sadness.

And then there are those who will say nothing, a squeeze of the hand or shoulder, the look that says 'I know'. 

People's generosity in other practical, tangible ways have made the last few days easier as has generosity in the last few months made the passage easier - Derek was able to spend a blessed holiday with his adoring daughter, my wife, Catherine, because of incredible generosity. Catherine could share a meal and laughter with precious friends while she was visiting him in hospital on a daily basis.

We have experienced in earthly terms great generosity - and because of God's great generous heart we got to spend time with this giant of faith for much of our lives.

So, having received at first hand, it's time to focus on giving out as well as giving up. 

I'm off to make a plan!

No comments: