Friday 20 February 2015

Have a chat...

Yesterday's #40acts task was to get into conversation with someone we wouldn't normally talk to and be generous with our time and listening...

This would not normally be a problem for me - I like to chat with pretty much anyone! In a queue, walking down the street, the waiter or waitress in a restaurant. I like to have a conversation with people - and people are fascinating.

This would be an easy task - or so I thought!

You need to know I had to travel yesterday from Glasgow to London for a meeting and then, of course return. Lots of people - no problem.

Nice chat with the baristas in the coffee shop at the airport. But very early and a bit lightweight in content.

On the flight - wouldn't you believe it! For the first time in as long as I can recall I was sat by myself on the flight!

On the train to my destination was my next opportunity. A lady sat down next to me and coughed vociferously. 'That sounds like a nasty cough. Are you OK?' 'Fine'. Conversation over !

I got to my meeting just as it started and we worked through coffee break and during lunch I was phoned three times. This was proving much more difficult than I ever thought. I heede to leave early to train/plane back to Glasgow.

And then Stephen turned up. He had arrived as I had at the meeting, we'd said hushed 'good mornings' as the meeting started and quick 'Great sandwiches!' at lunchtime but that was it. But because he was travelling back to Belfast he, too, needed to leave early he caught up with me at the railway station and we started to chat. He was a real blessing to me, he listened, he talked of his own preparation for ministry, what he had gained from our meeting through the day. We got separated on the very busy train and I thought I would catch him at the airport to talk some more but I couldn't see him anywhere.

So today I have given myself an additional task - to contact Stephen, thank him for the conversation and to build a friendship with him for the future.

Today's task is about litter picking - surely that must be easier!

No comments: