Monday 23 February 2015

Is it fair?

Today's #40acts is about using fair trade. To help they have quoted one of my favourite verses from Micah:
 "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Micah 6:8 (NIV)


Just after I read today's task I worked through my normal devotional pattern and came across words from Leviticus (if I'm honest not a book that I turn to regularly !) and there were words about ensuring that people act with justice especially the workman and his pay.


There was a time when I received a document from my church administrator which argued against the use of fair trade coffee. It was during the time when, if we're honest, most fair trade products tasted pretty bad but made us feel good by using them. So I read the document, which was quite compelling, and then asked him to buy a bulk tin of Nescafé. When it arrived we decanted the Nescafé out and replaced it with fair trade coffee. No one ever commented!


I know what some people will think - deceptive, sly - and they would be right. I don't defend my actions for my sake but for the sake of the labourer who is worth their pay.


There are high street shops that I refuse to buy from because their fair trade track record is very poor. There are others I would avoid if possible as well.


So today's task is maybe something I try to embrace already - why don't you?




No comments: