Thursday 29 May 2014

The Potter's Hand

I've been using Peter Scazzero's 'Daily Office' in my devotional a recently. It is brief and it is regularly challenging me. very helpful and I recommend it. The concept behind list of Scazzero's thinking is that we need emotionally healthy spirituality in order to be well balanced Christians - all good, and this book has helped me align my spirit with God while also having all the emotions that come through life without my faith relationship being effected.

So when the last few weeks have been encountered when I have got to the point of questioning my place within my church, the role I fulfil, the mission that I am engaged in then it has been with no real surprise that god has enabled me to work things through fairly swiftly. (For those who think we shouldn't have doubts - I'm really sorry but it's real life not some sort of pipe dream).

Last night I was able to attend a Salvation Army worship evening at the Corps in Easterhouse. My wife Catherine was leading and there was the usual mix of chaos and laughter, deep spiritual moments and even a child that ran away from her own dedication !

During the evening the song 'The Potters Hands' was used. As it was sung I was reminded of my own calling to see lives reshaped, see communities reshaped, and even see movement and organisations reshaped. It was a moment of confirmation and reaffirmation for me.

The fellowship at Easterhouse had effectively died a few years ago and was tabled at our first meeting in West Scotland for closure. Catherine and I had offered to be the officers at Easterhouse 20+ years ago and could not see this as our first major decision. We prayed for seven weeks and then appointed a couple of part time Corps Assistants, Tom and Pam, beautiful Christian people brimming over with God's spirit. 

Last night there were 29 of us worshipping together. The fellowship has a parent and toddler group, mens fellowship, ladies fellowship, craft group, gardening group and lots of other ideas in the pipeline. There are new Christians in the fellowship and one transfers from other churches. If there was a story of the dull clay of existence being transformed into something beautiful then this is it.

And it also reshaped one persons calling as well last night.

No comments: