Monday 19 May 2014

Be still and move on

Today I need to consider being still and moving on as one, singular experience.

To most people these would sound completely contradictory terms. how can one 'be still' while at the same time 'moving on'?

The scripture passage this is based on is from Exodus 14:10, 13-16. Moses is leadin the Hebrew slaves away for captivity and they are approaching the Red Sea whole being pursued by the Egyptian Army. God tells him to 'be still and move on'.

My understanding of this is to do with my relationship with God and what I do with it - it has nothing at all to do with physical activity in the first instance. To be still means I become more aware of both God and myself, to move on means I take that relationship into all that I'd do afterwards. It means that god is with me as a constant presence, not just when I come before Him in the early morning or last thing at night. He's always there - I sometimes miss the fact of this by rushing around mentally, physically and spiritully. He is saying to me "don't forget that I'm with you, together we'll make better progress that by yourself".

And on a daily basis God proves Himself right!

No comments: