Thursday 15 May 2014

I surrender

What would it take to surrender all of my past to God?

I feel that when I read a sentence like this in my devotions that this is something I have already done - probably numerous times.

I have surrendered hopes and ambitions, property and potential wealth as well as hurt and bitterness to the sovereignty of God. I live the relationship I have with Jesus and feel his presence with me... Most of the time.

And for me that is where the challenge lies. The moment I have typed each letter on this screen it is in the past. So it's valid for me to declare that all my past is surrendered never to be brought up against me or by me in my arrogant defence and that past is way behind me. But what about my immediate past? That part of me which is only just behind me?

Like the wing mirror in a car I can see back down the road I have travelled quite some distance but I need to change my perspective to see the person who is travelling in the back seat.

My immediate past travels with me some way.

The conversation I just had, the joke I just shared, the meeting whe I said nothing and just left. They are all in the past - but may not be too late to put right what was perhaps not the best of us.

I found myself needing to apologise to someone yesterday because of something I had shared with them that I was not able to deliver on. Immediately our relationship was back where it should have been. Apology graciously and gratefully accepted. A mistake of the near past surrendered to Christ who prompted my action. 

For don't forget: surrender may mean corrective action not just future obedience. 

Here is a song, Jesus, All for Jesus, by Robin Mark that I have found helpful when thinking this through in the past http://youtu.be/bbrt1y8pKCo 

No comments: