Wednesday 4 June 2014

Road Closed

Last night on the very local news was a story that a road is going to be closed during the  Commonwealth Games cutting off a local small community for a day.

The comments from locals varied from outrage to mild acceptance.

Today in my devotional reading I was looking at the idea of roads that become closed to me and so therefore I have to find another way.

When I look at my life at the moment there are a number of roads that seem to be closed. Areas that I seem to be powerless to do anything about (using power in it's best rather than corrupting sense).

And then I turned to prayer and God made it very obvious that I have very much influence over every situation in the world and certainly in my life - through prayer. When, as Christians we say 'there's nothing we can do about it' it's not true - we can pray in all circumstances. We may not personally impact a situation or be able to do something physically but we can do something, no road is completely closed to us.

I often wonder whether the prayers I offer to God, that conversation with Him, is a selfish act. For me to have God's time and attention and to bring things that are important to me to Him. Today confirmed not only that it is not a selfish act but an act of love for others as I bring their real and perceived needs down a road that is never closed.

No comments: